Monday 18 October 2010

FILM: Researching other Short Films

In preperation for short film creation I researched existing short films on YouTube to give me a general idea of what I needed to be doing in terms of shots, dialouge, action and how the narritive progresses in such a short time. I am familiar with how this works in traditional feature length films and so needed to see how these pricipals worked in a shorter time span. YouTube is the best place to research short films as this is where they are generally put for broadcast due to the free nature of the site.

One example I found showed me that short films still contain a vast variey of shots. There is also a notable lack of dialogue compared to feature film, this allows the film narritive to be carried by the use of camera, setting and non-diegetic sound. It's hard to convey a story through words as you only recive one stream of narritive, this would make it hard to convey in a short film, whereas action and use of shots creates many interpretations and moves the story on easier.



Another example I found showed me how a short film can still be creative, interesting and doesn't have to be a dull, simple story. It also helps with a more quirky idea as you don't have to worry too much about an explanation of the plot, it allows for a more creative and imaginative film.

No comments:

Post a Comment